Hello all! I have decided to attempt to start a blog. This may be a project that is much too time consuming for me, with Julia only being 2 months old, but I'm going to give it a shot. Perhaps this can be my 'selfish activity' while she is napping every day.
To start out, I will share about our first weekend trip with Julia. We left our house at 5:30 on Friday afternoon, and headed to Memphis to see Nick's mom, Brandon, and Kristen. While Julia doesn't mind the occasional car ride, she did not enjoy the 3.5 hour ride to Memphis. We did stop about an hour and a half into the drive for her to stretch and to change her diaper. She was not a happy camper when she got put back into the car seat. She screamed nonstop for 15 minutes, until she finally wore herself out and fell asleep. She slept and ate off and on the rest of the trip, and all 3 of us were relieved when we finally arrived at Grandma Vickie's house.
Julia was so exhausted from the trip and seeing everyone, she slept from 11:30 until 7:30 that night, which was the first night she slept through the night. Horrible mother moment #1-my child was so tired, that she would rather sleep than eat...
Saturday morning, we drove to Bolivar (only an hour's drive) to see Lolly and Poppy (my parents). She slept off and on during the day Saturday, but didn't really get any quality sleep AGAIN!!! We took turns holding her during supper, then the rest of my family came over to see her and have dessert. Again, she was passed around, and of course fussed the whole time because she was so tired. When she fell asleep around 10:45, we were both worn out, and she slept through the night again-until 6:15, which is pretty good for a 2 month old. She ate and went back to sleep until 9:30.
Sunday, we went to Jackson to see Nick's family, and she did much better-probably because it wasn't nighttime, which is when she usually gets really fussy and tired. Everyone was so excited to see and hold her, that I didn't get to hold her much. :-( I'm so thankful that she has so many people that love her, but I also want to be selfish sometimes too!! We finally made it home about 7:00 Sunday night, and I could tell that Julia was even happier to be home than I was. We are finally getting back on our routine from this weekend. Needless to say, we won't be doing that again for awhile, or at least until Julia is on a more consistent schedule and routine.
To change the subject, Nick and I took Julia to the doctor this morning, because we suspected that she may have a bit of acid reflux. Turns out, she does, so we are putting her on Zantac for infants. This is the drug that has the least (if any) number of side effects. We shall see how that turns out.
Also, I asked the doctor today if I should move her up to a medium flow nipple on her bottles, because it is taking her anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour at each feeding. He all but laughed in my face and said definitely. It shouldn't take her more than 20-25 minutes to eat. How horrible do I feel as her mother? (Horrible mother moment #2) I was making her work too hard for her food. No wonder she still wants to eat every 3 hours....More to come on how that turns out also.
We've also decided to start formula, so last night, we began replacing one feeding per day with formula. She seems to be doing alright with it. I'm hoping to have her completely on formula within the next month. I know it's more expensive, but this nursing business is wearing me out!!! I have to do what's best for me and my baby, right?!?!? I gave the whole breastfeeding thing a shot, and I think my time's up. :-)
I suppose I've said enough for today-more updates to come on the little one!!!
The trips in the car will get better! Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for switching to formula! Jaxson took Similac Sensitive because it was easier on his belly. Good luck with the changes, hope she feels better soon!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jessica! We're using Similac Sensitive too and she seems to be doing good with it so far.
Delete